A new year, new blog and new semester of school, I think I had a good month of reading!
Books that I read in January:
This means that I am averaging one book a week! That is very good for me to say the least. Additionally I am right on track with my “50 books read in a year” challenge over at Goodreads.
2012 Book Challenges:
I am making some dents in my HUGE list of reading challenges.
1. Nonfiction Nonmemoir Challenge – 1/10 books completed
2. The Library Challenge – 2/12 books completed
3. Off the Shelf Challenge – 2/15 books completed
4. Tea & Books Reading Challenge – 0/2 books completed
5. Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge – 1/10 books completed
6. The Dystopia 2012 Reading Challenge – 1/5 books completed
7. 2012 Twilight Series – 0/4 books completed
8. Finishing the Series Challenge – 0/3 series completed
9. Southern Literature Challenge – 0/4 books completed
10. First in a series Challenge – 3/6 books completed
11. Outdo Yourself Challenge – 0/32 books completed
12. Banned/Challenged Book Challenge – 0/12 books completed
13. Getting Lost in a Comfortable Book Challenge – 0/12 completed
14. Classic Double Challenge – 0/4 books completed
15. Jane Austen Spinoff Challenge - 0/8 books completed
16. The Eclectic Reader Challenge – 3/12 books completed
17. Chunkster Challenge – 0/4 books completed
18. Books I started but didn’t finish – 2/24 books completed
19. 1001 Books to read before you die – 0/12 books completed.
Hunger Games Read-Along:
Throughout the month I participated a read-along with Mocha Girl Reads and Words that Fly. I was “suppose” to read this book throughout the month but it was so good that I ended up reading it in a couple of days! It was so refreshing to read something that took me to another place. I don’t think I have felt that way in some time. Hopefully someone will do a read-along for the rest of the series. That would be great!
Moby Dick Read-Along:
So I failed badly at this read-along. Something in me just could not pick up this book to read and when I did, I just could not get into it.
Gone with the Wind Read-Along:
This month the lovely blog “The Book Worm” will be hosting a read-along for “Gone with the Wind”. I have wanted to read this book for some time now and thought that this could be a perfect time too. Also for the month of February I am planning to have a “Black History Theme” and since it is about the Civil War, I believe that it fits perfectly with the theme. The first post for this read-along will be February 14th.
Other Random thoughts:
I am going to start following the 20% rule. This means that after I have read 20% of a book and still has not gotten into it, I will put it down. There is no reason for me to push myself to read any book. For example, the edition of the Moby Dick book I am reading is 707 pages. Which means that after 141 pages (I am currently on page 88), if I still have not gotten into the book. LET IT GO!!!
How did January go for you guys? Leave a comment below.